Creating a memorable logo for your Calgary business is a very important task, but it should also be a fun one. It’s a chance to show off the personality of your business, tell your story, and most importantly make an impression on the people who see it. Your logo will feature prominently on your social media, website, and all of your marketing materials. It’s a big deal, but the process of designing your logo doesn’t have to be intimidating.
I find that there are many different ways to create a memorable logo. Some appeal for their simplicity, others for their artistic flair. Here are some of my favourite logo creation tips that will help you design (or redesign!) the perfect logo for your Calgary business.
The Five Common Categories of Logo Design
Let’s start with the basics. While there is great variety to be found in logo design, nearly every logo will fall into one of five common categories. The names of the categories may be new to you, but they describe plenty of the logos that you’ve encountered in every day life.
- Word Mark – One of the simplest forms of logo design – the word mark – is made up entirely of text, usually with a special font and colour. Facebook’s logo is the most famous current example.
- Symbol – This type includes a stylized logo, but no text. Finding or creating the right image is no small task, but some of the most memorable logos – including Apple and Nike – are symbols.
- Letter Mark – A letter mark uses a company’s initials, or part of its name, to create a memorable logo. General Electric is not exactly a name that stands out when spelled in full, for example, but the GE letter mark logo is highly memorable.
- Combination Mark – With this type of logo, we combine a word or letter mark with a symbol. Combination marks allow you to show creativity, while still ensuring that the name of your business is prominently featured. FedEx has a good example of a combination mark.
- Emblem – An emblem is different from a symbol because your company name is part of the design. The Starbucks logo is a great example of an effective emblem, and is familiar to coffee-lovers everywhere.
Simple Tips for Designing a Memorable Logo
You might already have some ideas for your own logo. The key now is to create something that truly stands out. I have a few design tips that will help separate your logo from the pack.
- Fonts Are Fun – A word or letter mark may sound bland compared to other logos, but that doesn’t have to be the case. Choosing an unusual (but still easy to read) font is a great way to add character to any text-based logo.
- Cut Out Cliches – While there’s nothing wrong with taking inspiration from other logos, it’s important to be unique. Be sure that your logo stands out in its own right, and won’t be confused with the logo of another business.
- Choose Winning Colours – Any colour can be winning, so this tip is mostly about making sure that your logo includes colour. Vivid colours draw attention, and makes your logo more memorable for anyone who encounters it.
- An Image for Your Thoughts – Incorporating a unique image is one of the best ways to create a memorable logo. Bonus points if you can include a versatile image that represents two concepts at once.
- Keep It Simple – Using your logo to showcase your company’s story is a great idea, as long as you don’t get carried away. Designing an effective logo is all about telling that story as efficiently as possible.
Emphasize Logo and Web Design Services in Calgary
As you work on your new logo, remember that it’s intrinsically connected to your marketing and web design at the same time. That makes your logo design period a perfect time to take a fresh look at your web design. Of course, I’m also happy to help you develop the perfect logo design for your Calgary business, and we offer everything that you need to get started.
Looking for updated website design to complement your new logo design? Emphasize Design of Calgary delivers a truly unique look that’s sure to stand out from the pack.