In the year 2016, your business obviously needs a website to reach its maximum potential. But does your website need a blog? To answer your question, let’s be obvious again. Right now, you’re reading our blog at Emphasize Design. Maybe you found us by search, or maybe you’ve visited before, but either way you’re here and you’re reading what I wrote.
Now that we’ve found each other (and thanks for stopping by!), I have the opportunity to provide you with useful, relevant information on what I hope is an important topic to you. By providing that information, I also get to show you what sort of quality of service you can expect when working with the talented web design team at Emphasize Design of Calgary. It’s a win-win opportunity, and the same formula works no matter what type of business you’re working to promote.
Business Blogging by the Numbers
The concepts behind promoting your website are quite similar to the concepts that you’d use to promote your business as a whole. In other words, you need to find a way to differentiate yourself from the competition. Your blog, and the content you create, are some of the most powerful tools you have to set your business apart online. The numbers don’t lie:
- Blogging makes it easier to connect with other websites. According to Hubspot, business websites with a blog receive 97 percent more links than those without.
- Blogging isn’t just for B2C marketing, as B2B marketers report a 67 percent increase in lead generation by blogging. (Source: Hubspot)
- Targeting a young demographic? Sysomos reports that a massive 53.5 percent of the blogging community falls in the 21-35 year old demographic.
- Your customers trust you. According to a survey of US-based blogs by BlogHer, 81 percent of consumers trust the information that they read on business blogs.
- Blogging generates quality traffic. Hubspot reports that businesses with 400 to 1,000 pages of content generate six times more leads than businesses with 51 to 100 pages of content.
To Blog, or Not to Blog: The Many Benefits of Business Blogging
The secret to blogging is persistence. It takes time to find your audience, figure out how to connect with them, and develop a routine for creating a steady flow of content. It’s also more than worth the effort. As the numbers above demonstrate, a real commitment to blogging can do wonders for your lead generation efforts, no matter what demographics you’re after.
- Blogging and social media are closely connected. Your blog gives readers good reason to check out your social media pages, and when your posts are shared, your social media leads new readers to your blog.
- Your blog also provides an opportunity to establish and demonstrate your expertise in your field. I’ve spent a great deal of time blogging, so writing about the topic is natural for me. No matter your industry, you have the same sort of insight to share about the business that you know so well.
- Sharing your expertise, offering valuable tips, and engaging through social media will also help you to convert leads. Basically, blogging allows you to establish trusting relationships, even when you don’t have the opportunity to connect one-on-one.
- Okay, now for the elephant in the room. Blogging involves quite a bit of writing, and not everyone likes to write.
- My first tip is simply to give it a shot. Even if you don’t think of yourself as a writer, you might find that you enjoy the process of blogging once you get the hang of it. Sharing your expertise can be fun, and blogging also helps you to connect with new people.
- …but if the writing part just isn’t for you, no worries. Just contact your favourite company for web design in Calgary (hint, hint), and you can get all of the benefits of business blogging without the time investment on your part.
There are many ways for small businesses to succeed online, but few offer the wide-ranging benefits of business blogging. And you don’t have to be Shakespeare to run a successful blog, either. I find that if you simply offer your expertise, engage your readers, and post on a regular schedule, you’re already well on your way to blogging success.
Need a hand with web design or blogging for your Calgary business? We can help! Emphasize Design offers everything you need for great web design, and successful inbound marketing.