Website security is critical for any business that wants to protect the personal data of its customers, and make a positive impression online. Cybercrime is a real risk for every type of business, whether you sell products/services online or your website is more focused on content, social media, and informational resources for your customers. The good news is that there are website design and security steps you can take right away to improve the security of your Calgary business website. By upgrading from HTTP to HTTPS (don’t worry, we’ll explain), you can boost website security and even earn a little SEO juice in the process.
HTTP and HTTPS: How a Simple Switch Can Boost Your Website Security
HTTPS is an acronym for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure, which is a jargon-heavy way of saying that HTTPS protects the data shared between the user’s computer and your website. Website owners who wish to enable HTTPS will need a security certificate from a recognized certificate authority, and the benefits are worth the effort. Google is one of the big tech proponents of HTTPS, and does a great job of explaining how it protects sensitive data.
- Data sent via HTTPS websites is encrypted, so that outside entities cannot track the user’s site activity, “listen in” to conversations, or steal personal data.
- HTTPS also protects the integrity of data, so that it cannot be altered during transfer from the user’s computer to your website without raising red flags in the system.
- Phishing attacks, which rely on fabricated email messages or websites that look like the real thing, are among the most common, effective cybercrime tactics. When a user visits a website with HTTPS enabled, they can be confident that the website they are seeing is authentic.
The Marketing and SEO Benefits of Securing Your Website with HTTPS
No matter what you sell, where you sell it, or who you sell it to, your customers care about cyber security. We all do! Enabling HTTPS is a simple way to show customers you mean business about security, which gives them more confidence when making a purchase or providing personal information. The marketing benefits of HTTPS can even give your website’s search engine optimization (SEO) a boost, which is always welcome.
- Most search engine users only click links on the first page of search results, and websites at the top of the first page often receive significantly more traffic than those at the bottom.
- Google and other search engines are in the business of providing secure, relevant search results to their users. Since HTTPS is a highly effective tool available to any website owner, Google would very much prefer that your site be HTTPS enabled.
- In order to encourage more secure websites, Google rewards websites that enable HTTPS by providing those websites with a small but meaningful SEO boost.
- I could explain how Google factors that boost into its search algorithm, but I can already feel your eyes glazing over. The important thing to remember is that HTTPS boosts your website’s search ranking, in addition to its security.
Hackers are creative, persistent, and resourceful. They target personal information and financial data by exploiting any website security vulnerabilities that they can find. Consumers and businesses alike are rightfully concerned by the rise of cybercrime, so doing your part to combat that crime is simply good business. Enabling HTTPS is one of the most effective ways to eliminate common security vulnerabilities, and puts a major roadblock in the way of hackers who prefer to prowl for easier targets.
Website Design Services From Emphasize Design of Calgary
Want to talk website security, online marketing, or website design? Our team at Emphasize Design of Calgary is here to help you with effective search engine optimization, creative content development, intuitive ecommerce services, and attractive website design. We look forward to helping you grow your business, in Alberta and beyond!