Mark Zuckerberg and his Harvard roommates might have started Facebook for college students to have a little fun a little over ten years ago, but today it is the dominant social network with more than one and a quarter billion users. With a sometimes spotty record for keeping users informed about privacy, it’s no surprise that when Facebook makes a change even those most experienced with online marketing in Calgary have reason to pause and make sure they know the facts.
Users who want to be able to send and receive Facebook messages must now use the separate Messenger app. While installing a new app might not seem like a big deal, some are concerned about permissions Messenger requests, including the ability to make calls and send texts without asking the user.
According to Nicole Bogart writing for Global News, “Part of the reason Messenger seems so alarming is the way Android permissions work.” Android requests permissions when an app is installed, unlike iOS devices, which ask when a person tries to use features for the first time.
These type of requests might seem like an invasion of privacy, but as Freddy Mayhew writes for The Independent, “it’s mostly about improving the user experience…. so you don’t have to grant it access every time you make a phone call through it, which would be odious in the extreme.” Facebook doesn’t even write the language of the onscreen alerts for permission. Those are built into the Android and iOS operating systems.
More than a billion people access Facebook on a mobile device every month, which is why it’s so important to online marketing in Calgary. As a savvy user, it makes good sense to know exactly what apps are allowed to do on all of your devices. iOS users can go to Settings > Privacy to see what apps have access to your microphone, contacts, photos, etc. Android users can see permissions before even installing the app by scrolling through the list before choosing “Accept and Download”.
Facebook Privacy Tips and Tricks
Knowing how to manage your account is not just smart for online marketing in Calgary. It applies to all users. Here are some of our favourite ways to keep Facebook under control.
- Settings usually default to Public. As Reader’s Digest points out, it’s better for Facebook if you share more, but that may not always be best for you. Adjust Privacy settings to meet your personal comfort level. Use the “View As” option to see what the public, your friends and only people on certain lists can see. Go to your Activity Log, find any post you want to edit and click the pencil or the privacy drop down to make changes.
- Consider using a privacy setting to control all past posts. On your privacy page, choose the option “Who can see my stuff?” and find “Limit the audience for posts…” Select the “Limit Past Posts” option.
- There are some things you can’t make private: your profile picture, name, cover picture, gender, username, and network are always public. Understand that unless you change them, this will include former profile pictures and cover photos. To make changes on these, go to your Albums and review them individually.
- Photos you’ve hidden on your timeline are still searchable. As Kristin Burnham says for Information Week, “Facebook users are most sensitive about the privacy of their photos.” Review these by going to your Activity Log and clicking the drop down menu next to “On timeline and switch to the hidden-only view. It’s also a good idea to review photos you’ve been tagged in from your Activity Log and selecting “Photos of You”.
- Facebook can still be fun. After adjusting your privacy settings, why not try Pirate mode (Settings > Language) or some of these fun suggestions from The Mirror.
Social Media is an Art!
Using Facebook for online marketing in Calgary requires dedication and passion. Some people have a knack for it and others don’t. If you’ve taken on the social media responsibilities for your business, make sure it’s something you really want to do. Huge audiences can be reached through social media, and they are a vocal group. If social media is not your preferred art form, let the team at Emphasize Design help you attract quality visitors. We can develop a customized marketing package to help you achieve and obtain outstanding results in this competitive field. Social media marketing is just one of the services we provide. We also offer web design and development, SEO, PPC, email marketing, and more!