Small businesses are a true economic driver of Alberta. Businesses with 50 employees or less make up a whopping 95% of all the economic activity in this province, according to an article published by AlbertaVenture.com in October 2018. The revenue generated comprises close to 30% of the province’s GDP. Small businesses are creative and nimble, and even while we’re still struggling with an economic downtown in Alberta, the number of small businesses actually increased between 2012 and 2017, growing by about 12%.
Emphasize Design is a small business I’ve been running for more than 10 years now, and it’s a true passion of mine. What I really love about what we do is that we help other small businesses. We are specialists in creating small business websites that work for you, 24 hours a day, helping to build and maintain your online reputation and brand, target exactly the kind of clients you want and need, and generate and manage leads so that you have a constant stream coming through your sales funnel, making your business strong and stable.
The Impetus for Your Small Business
Often small businesses start with a great idea of how to fill a gap or need in the market. If you have a small business idea percolating, I highly suggest starting with “why.” I didn’t develop this concept, but it’s something I rely on every day. It comes from a book by Simon Sinek, titled Start With Why, which provides a novel explanation for how great leaders motivate the people who follow them. If you want the short version, try this Ted Talk from Sinek himself for a brief, but detailed synopsis. The basic idea is that if you want to inspire someone to become acquainted with, learn and trust your small business, you can’t just tell them to. Inspire them by showing why you have developed your company in a clear, sincere and honest way. There are plenty of ways to incorporate this concept when marketing your business, and a well-designed small business website is your most powerful tool.
Small Business Ideas
If you know you want to start a small business, but are not sure of the concept, there are plenty of resources out there for you. A simple Google search brought up a number of good ideas that could work for many.
HubSpot.com is a valued resource I turn to often. They provide marketing software tailored especially for those who own a small business website, and their marketing, sales, service and news blog sites always come up with great, well-researched content. I liked their recent article, “22 Incredible Small Business Opportunities for 2019 and Beyond,” which offered several suggestions I agree with. Here are a couple of my favourites that I think could do well in Calgary and Alberta:
- Home child care. Everyone knows how expensive this is in Alberta, and we also all know how grateful we are when we find something that works for us and our family. Home-based child care doesn’t have to house the whole neighbourhood, either. Often just a few kids – such as four or five – will allow you to earn a living plus enjoy what you do.
- Elder care. The country’s population is aging at a rapid pace and the infrastructure simply doesn’t exist to support it. There are several elder care certificates available through continuing education programs that can help you provide the services older people need, plus probably make some really good friends as well.
- Ride share driver. The best part about being a ride share driver is that it’s something you can do as much or as little as you like. It’s relatively risk-free, however you will need additional car insurance. Plus know your way around the city.
Of course, if you are highly trained and experienced in a certain field, consulting is always an option. Consultants must be excellent self-marketers in order to succeed, however, and you must be able to articulate exactly why you can help others succeed as well. A small business website for consultants is literally a must, in my opinion, as they provide great reach for a relatively small investment. I also highly suggest blogging for consultants, as it’s very important for improving SEO as well as letting people know the kind of person you are and how far you will go for your clients.
Another article by BusinessNewsDaily.com called “10 Smart Business Ideas for 2019” has some more food for thought:
- Professional organizer. Getting organized can greatly reduce stress levels, and professional organizers are becoming more and more common. It’s a skill that can be learned, but it helps if you are highly organized and motivated already.
- Cleaning services. People are busy, and a great cleaning service can help make life at home much more enjoyable. It’s also the type of business you can make as large or small as you like!
- Translation service. If you speak another language, capitalize on it. In this globalized economy there is always someone looking to branch out and work with other countries, and you may be the link they need to get started.
Contact Emphasize for All Your Small Business Website Needs
At Emphasize Design, we provide the complete gamut of website marketing services, starting with your small business website design and taking you fully through attracting, converting and closing customers. Our expertise can even extend further, as our resources include all kinds of information, such as tips on knowing what to charge for your services and the steps to take to register and get your business started.
Contact us for an informal conversation on what we can do for you. Remember, our small business was specifically built to help yours!