Online trends are in a constant state of flux, and web design is no exception. Dig up a website that hasn’t been changed since the early 2000s, and you might as well be visiting a page from another planet. Constant advances in technology mean that websites need to stay current, in order to maintain their value.
That doesn’t mean that every trend fades away, however. The best ones tend to stick around, and shape the way that we build websites moving forward. Keeping your website current requires you to separate the fleeting trends from the ones that will add real value to your site over the long term. Here are a few trends that will allow you to show your Calgary business in its best light through modern web design and online marketing.
Technology and Trends: The Changing Face of Web Design
Technology is a major driver behind web design trends. Fast Internet speeds allow for more robust websites, without dragging down loading times. Including interactive and multimedia content is easier than ever, though we’d still suggest doing so in moderation. And we haven’t even mentioned smartphones and tablets! Mobile browsing is massively popular, and is only expected to grow in the coming years.
- Given so many design options, it’s fairly easy to overpopulate your site with features. One of the more enduring current trends, known as flat web design, suggests going in the opposite direction. Flat design is popular because it’s aesthetically pleasing, and very functional.
- With flat design, the focus is on a streamlined visual appearance. You want your visitors to always understand where they are on your site, and how to get where they want to go next. Choosing the right fonts, colors, and features for your site makes a major difference in the user experience.
- Calling responsive web design a trend undersells it, because responsiveness is absolutely a necessity if you want your site to reach mobile web users. Responsive design keeps your site looking and running great, no matter the size of the screen used to access it. Every website we build is responsive!
- If you’ve followed web design trends in the past, you know that most developers recommended avoiding pages that require extensive scrolling. This is another area where mobile devices have changed the game, because touch-screens make it simple to scroll. While we wouldn’t recommend adding long pages just for the sake of it, scrolling is now less of a no-no.
- Multimedia content is a great way to show off your products, employees, and company culture. Given the speed of the average Internet connection, you can add multimedia without slowing down your site. Just remember not to include too many features on a single page, to avoid distracting your site visitors.
- Remember that no matter what design features you decide to include, navigation is vital to the user experience of your site. Label links clearly, and give similar pages a consistent look. Navigating through your site should feel like a natural, logical progression for your visitors.
For the most part, we’ve touched on trends that we expect to stick around for a while. Even the most conservative estimates expect mobile browsing to grow immensely, so responsiveness will remain very important. The Internet isn’t getting any slower, so creative multimedia use is here to stay. The fun thing about trends, though, is that the next one might be something you’d never expect. Maintaining a successful website means mixing the best of the old with the new, and staying true to the core values that drive your business.
Emphasize Design Stays on Top of Internet Developments
Need a hand navigating the complex world of web design trends for your Calgary business? We can help! Emphasize Design offers everything you need for excellent web design, and effective online marketing.