Some businesses do not understand the buzz around social media. They think of Facebook and Twitter as places for social interactions and “fun”, not realizing that they can be powerful inbound marketing tools. The statistics below show the utility of social media, and the potential impact social media could have on your company’s traffic, leads, and inevitably, sales.
Key Concepts and Statistics
- Internet users spend 3x more minutes on blogs and social networks than on email. (1)
- 93% of adult Internet users are on Facebook. (2)
- 1 out of every 8 minutes online is spent on Facebook. (3)
- 49% of people use Facebook to share content. (4)
- More than 1⁄2 of active Twitter users follow companies, brands or products on social networks. (5)
- 79% of Twitter users are more likely to recommend brands they follow. (5)
- 67% of Twitter users are more likely to buy brand they follow. (5)
Social media amplifies your content, your website and your brand. It allows for you to establish and foster a more personal relationship with your potential customers, and when done correctly, can generate website traffic, inbound links, and leads for you. Social media has become a major part of consumer culture, and it is time for you to capitalize on it.
Sources, Unless Cited:
(1) The Nielsen Company, November 2010
(2) Blogher, April 2011
(3) Comscore, February 2011
(4) Chadwick Martin Bailey, September 2010
(5) Edison Research, 2010