Naming things is one of the most challenging parts of writing. That’s true whether you’re working on a blog post, a novel, a presentation, or anything in between. Of course, the stakes are higher in marketing. Your blog post titles need to accurately describe the post and grab the reader’s attention, without slipping into hyperbole. It’s a balancing act, but you can handle it. Follow our effective titling tips, and you’ll be churning out excellent headers in no time.
Website Design in Calgary: Brainstorming Blog Post Titles
Choosing the right title is a vital element of effective content management. The title is the first thing readers will see when they encounter your content in search results and on social media. Following an established process is the best way to ensure that your title hits the mark, and the inbound experts at Hubspot have some suggestions.
- Start Simple – Trying to get your title perfect right away will only slow you down. Start with a working title that describes the blog post adequately, and don’t worry about making it “pop” until later. If someone other than you is writing the actual post, your working title should act as a guide for the content topic. Use specific language, but don’t spend too much time looking for the perfect words. That comes later.
- Aim for Accuracy – Your title sets the reader’s expectations for your post. You want an attention-grabbing title, but not at the expense of misleading your reader. If your title teases “Five Email Tips That Will Revolutionize Your Marketing,” then you better follow it up with some great tips that your average reader hasn’t seen before. Otherwise, you’re just setting them up for a letdown.
- Stay Strong – Strong language is ideal for titles, as long as it accurately describes your post. Use will instead of can when appropriate, and don’t be afraid to take a position. Just remember that strong language is best in moderation. If every title includes words like “love” and “hate,” those words start to lose their meaning.
- Demonstrate Value – What’s in it for the reader? Literally. If your post includes added content like a video, infographic, or long-form analysis, mention it in the title. No matter the format of your post, your title should demonstrate value to the reader.
Website Design in Calgary: Tightening Your Titles
You want your blog to be an SEO hot spot, and choosing the right titles plays a key role in that mission. Every word must count, if you want to capture the attention of your readers. Usually, that means cutting and cutting come more, until you find the perfect combination.
- When in Doubt, Leave it Out – Titles must be concise to be effective. There’s simply no way around it. You’ve got limited space to make an impact, and you don’t want to waste precious characters on unnecessary words. Always look for opportunities to cut words and tighten your titles. And don’t forget to consider the character limits of search engines and social media!
- Bring a Buddy – Once you’ve created a few solid title options, ask a coworker to help you pare down and edit your list. It’s easy to get attached to your titles after you’ve spent some time crafting them, and a fresh set of eyes will catch details that you might have missed. Seeking fresh perspectives is also a great way to jog your creativity if you’re stuck on one of the earlier steps.
- Consider SEO Goals – Optimizing titles for search results can be tricky business. You want to rank for the right phrases, but only if those phrases also accurately describe the contents of your post. Choosing a title that gets your post clicked and shared will improve your search ranking, even if your keywords didn’t make it into the title.
Did you notice anything about the titles for each bullet point in this post? Some rhyme, others feature alliteration, and a few are simply accurate, bare-bones descriptions of what will follow. All of them are short. Bullet-point titles don’t need to be as descriptive as post titles, but the basic concepts are the same. Be brief, be accurate, and don’t be afraid to have a little fun.
Your website design and marketing play a major role in the success of your Calgary business. Why settle for less than the best? The experts at Emphasize Design offer all the marketing services you need to keep your business growing.