There is so much advice on how to write a great social media post that it can be easy to get overwhelmed, especially if you’re just getting started. I’ve had the benefit of hands-on experience while running our ED social accounts for years, and working with our web design team. That experience has allowed me to cut through the noise, test the tips, and learn first-hand which tactics work best for social media marketing. Success requires strategy, and I’m here to help you develop a social media strategy that will work for your Calgary business.
Something to Talk About: Why Creating Content is Crucial to Social Success
Content development is a fundamental tool of online marketing, and it’s an absolute must-have if you want your brand to succeed on social channels. It also comes in many forms. The blog post you’re reading right now is one example, but content can also come in the form of images, infographics, video, live streaming, and more.
- If you want them to talk, it sure helps to give them something interesting to talk about. Your website content provides fuel for your social media posts, and makes it easy to link social posts back to your website.
- Time for a secret. If you weren’t interested in reading about social media strategy, I wouldn’t be writing about it. Always think about the interests and needs of your audience when creating content.
- The easiest way to start is with a blog, and every business website should have one. I must say, though, that writing expertise definitely helps when creating a great blog post, and the same goes for writing social media posts.
- Video content, images, and infographics make for excellent social posts. There can be a bit more of a learning curve with this type of content, but the payoff is worth it.
Understanding the Audience Preferences of the Most Popular Social Media Sites
There’s no harm in experimenting to see which sites work best for your brand, but you can save a lot of time by researching the “dos and don’ts” before you get started. I took inspiration from this excellent infographic on social sites, which I’d recommend bookmarking for future reference.
- Facebook – The most familiar name, with an unmatched user base, advanced analytics, and tons of marketing tools. Succeeding on Facebook requires real engagement, in addition to great content. Your connections want to feel like their voice is being heard, and prefer positivity to negativity. Make your content mobile-friendly to tap into Facebook’s huge mobile audience.
- Twitter – The up-to-the-minute social site, where the conversation never ends and trending topics reign supreme. Twitter has a frenetic pace, so it’s important to be clear, concise, and informative. Engage users by including their username in @mentions, retweeting, and searching popular hashtags. Quick, interesting statistics and infographics play well on Twitter.
- Google+ – While not quite as active as the first two sites on our list, Google+ gets a boost from its integration with Google. The less crowded nature of Google+ means it’s important to extend conversations, connect with other users, and comment on topics relevant to your industry. Users tend to be tech-savvy, so tech-related content works well here.
- Pinterest – Are you in a crafty business? Do you love sharing eye-catching images? Pinterest is a very visual medium, where bright, colorful content is the best way to turn heads. It’s a great fit for real estate agencies, restaurants, and any industry where pictures tell a story.
- LinkedIn – Once known simply as the social network for professionals, LinkedIn has made a major leap into the world of content in recent years. It’s still geared heavily toward professionals, so it can be an especially good place to connect with B2B clients. Timely, relevant, data-rich content is key to standing out.
No matter which social sites you choose to frequent, it’s a good idea to update yourself on how to handle unpleasant people online. With an understanding of what not to do, you’ll have the freedom to experiment and learn what works best for your business. Create content, remain active, and engage your audience to make the most of your social media presence.
Website Design Services From Emphasize of Calgary
Our team at Emphasize Design of Calgary is here to help with all of your social media marketing and website design needs. Learn more about our website design options, and get ready to give your business a fresh, new look online.