You can cause more damage than good by trying to undertake a website redesign on your own. The information below conveys the importance of existing assets, and the importance that these assets need to be preserved and protected.
Key Concepts and Statistics
- Website assets such as content, inbound links, keyword rankings, and conversion tools are critical to a strong web presence.
- To preserve your web presence, you must keep track of these assets to insure that they are all transferred in the redesign process.
The Asset Checklist
- Determine how many pages you have.
- Figure out which pages are most popular/powerful.
- Determine how many inbound links you have.
- Establish where these links are coming from.
- Look up what interior pages have inbound links.
- Figure out which inbound links are most popular/powerful.
- Determine what keywords you rank for before the move.
- Figure out keywords are most effective.
If you do not fully understand the importance and practice of proper SEO, doing a web design can be more damaging than helpful. If you do not feel comfortable around SEO work, it may be best to hire a specialist to perform the redesign so all the hard work you have put into making a web presence does not disappear. It may also be time to contact a professional to set you up with a system that can track these metrics if you don’t already have a system in place.